i have an appeal for assistance from my Uncle Colin. he is rather keen to recall the name of a band and one particular song that they did. whereas he has no sure clue as to which band or which song, he has (with some minor input from my Dad) narrowed it down to who it could be.
here are the clues he gave us :
* the band is a duo. or possibly a solo artist, or a band with 3 - 6 members in it.
* the "band" is Irish, but could be English, Welsh, Scottish, American or from one of the less vowel-heavy areas of Scandinavia. he didn't mention Australia, but you never know.
* their "huge hit" was in the 80s. or it might have been the 90s or within the last few years.
* they had/have a huge following and everyone, bar a few obvious exceptions, knows them.
* the band are of an undetermined or perhaps ambiguous sexual preference (thanks for checking, Dad)
* the singer - and this should narrow it down - wears a t-shirt and a jacket.
* their style of music was/is "unique".
* the band is none of the following - Pet Shop Boys, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Manic Street Preachers, The Cure, The Cult, White Stripes, The Beatles, The King Elvis Presley, Spanga, Tiffany, Ned's Atomic Dustbin, N.W.A., The Who, The Smiths, The Stone Roses, Queen, The Rolling Stones, T-Rex, Wham!, Elton John, Guns N Roses, Metallica, Rick Astley, Depeche Mode. we thought it best not to suggest Falco.
Uncle Colin thinks it might by R.E.M. or if you will "rem", and their only massive hit being the never played live Shiny Happy People.
i should make it clear that Colin had engaged in a day long, brutal battle with Guinness which had just come to a draw at the time that he posed this question.
any information you might have on which group he is on about, if not just Michael Stipe and his chums, would be greatly appreciated!
be excellent to each other!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!