Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Decent Oscar Nominations Horror Shock!

hello

well, for the first time in a long, long time the Oscar nominations actually reflect the best film making of the past year, and it will be hard to argue with whoever wins. the most interesting category has to be Best Actor, with five sterling actors all potential winners :

Jamie Foxx - Ray
Leonardo DiCaprio - The Aviator
Clint Eastwood - Million Dollar Baby
Johnny Depp - Finding Neverland
Don Cheadle - Hotel Rwanda

now, I know that someone like Leo is not always popular, but he was an excellent choice to play Howard Hughes.
I have a suspicion that the winner will be Don Cheadle - he's one of the finest actors I have ever had the pleasure of watching, right from his amazing and underrated support role in Boogie Nights. Sentiment might well send it the way of Clint, but then again how any of them will beat Jamie Foxx's work in Ray is somewhat puzzling. and then you have good old Mr Depp, who was genuinely unlucky not to be recognized for Pirates Of The Caribbean. oh well, no moaning from me no matter who wins!

as for the other categories, well, Hilary Swank for Million Dollar Baby strikes me as the obvious Best Actress winner. I am sure the other four were great, but she's just a fantastic actress.

Best Director? Hmn, tough one. needless to say, I would give it to Martin Scorsese, but as he does not seem to get recognized for anything, I believe Clint Eastwood for Million Dollar Baby would be a worthy winner.

we shall see soon!!

otherwise, not a great deal to report on. my good friend Rolf has scored some Depeche Mode DVD's at a very low price, so they are being (ahem) duplicated.

be excellent to each other!!

No comments: